DCS cuts short reunion for kidnapped infant and his mother

Monday, October 5, 2009 at 12:32am
Staff Reports

The reunion was short-lived for Maria Gurrolla. As soon as her infant son was returned to her, the state Department of Children’s Services put him and his three siblings in protective custody.

A spokesperson for DCS indicated that the children were removed from Gurrolla’s south Nashville home on Saturday because of safety concerns, but did not clarify what those concerns might be.

As of Sunday night, family members of little Yair Anthony Carillo were both relieved that the infant, abducted after his mother was attacked last Tuesday, was returned safe but also curious as to why he was being separated from his mother.

At the same time, Metro Police said the investigation was continuing despite the fact that the main suspect, found with the child Friday night in Alabama, has been arrested and charged with kidnapping and assault. It is unclear what or who is being investigated at this time, though Tammy Renee Silas, 39, of Ardmore, Ala., is in jail awaiting a transfer to Nashville.

However, in the arrest warrant issued in Alabama, the special agent who obtained the warrant reported that Silas had made a brief cell phone call from Gurrolla’s home following the bloody attack, allegedly saying “the job is done” in Spanish. And when officers went to Silas’ residence on Friday night, a man answered the door and let officers in — moments later Silas surfaced with a baby in her arms, according to reports.

It is not clear if the person at the other end of the call was the man at the home, or if either is the source of a continuing investigation.

What is also not known is if the open investigation in any way led to the placement of Yair and his siblings in protective custody, although the DCS spokesperson says foster care is generally temporary and the goal of DCS was to work to have the children reunited with the family.

Only four days old when he was kidnapped, Yair Carillo was recovered around 10 p.m. Friday in good health following an intensive search by Metro Police, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and the FBI.

A break in the case came Friday when Wal-mart surveillance cameras captured a dark-colored Kia Spectra on Tuesday afternoon following Gurrolla from the store’s parking lot at Nolensville Road and Harding Place.

Gurrolla was attacked and stabbed several times in her home a short while later, according to police reports, fleeing to a neighbor’s house to summon police while leaving the infant and at least one other child in the house.

It was during this time, police suspect, that the baby boy was taken by the suspect.

Video clarity made it possible for police to see the license plate on the vehicle, and later discovered it was rented at the Nashville Airport by the suspect the same day.

Based on the information, investigators staked out Silas’ Ardmore home. After dropping off the car in Huntsville, Ala., she arrived home in a truck, according to the warrant. Investigators witnessed Silas “carry a bundle covered with a blanket into her home… consistent with the size of an infant,” the warrant reads.

Shortly before 10 p.m. on Saturday, investigators knocked on the door and a man answered. Silas was arrested a short time later, according to police.

silaswarrant.pdf284.39 KB

3 Comments on this post:

By: sidneyames on 10/5/09 at 6:46

Get that 4 day old baby back into his mother's arms. It is critical that she and he have their bonding time. I hope the DHS is letting her and the father come and HOLD that baby and those other children. That has to be scarey for the children and the mother.

By: JohnGalt on 10/5/09 at 2:54

Is there some reason no mention is being made anywhere of the mother's immigration status?

By: Blanketnazi2 on 10/5/09 at 3:29

classy, John. i wouldn't expect any less of you.