The autopsy of Nashville restaurateur Jay Luther has concluded that he died from accidental suffocation by carbon dioxide inhalation, according to the Davidson County medical examiner.
Luther’s body was discovered at the Germantown Café East inside a walk-in cooler, which contained dry ice, on Monday morning. Dry ice dissipates into carbon dioxide, which displaces oxygen in confined spaces.
According to the Metro Nashville Police Department, the interior door release to the restaurant’s cooler was broken. “The plunger part of the release mechanism was located by police on a shelf outside of the cooler,” the MNPD release stated.