Adams fined $250,000 for obscene gesture

Monday, November 16, 2009 at 5:28pm

Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams was fined $250,000 for his obscene gestures made from both the owner’s luxury suite and on the field Sunday during a 41-17 victory over the Buffalo Bills.

An advisory from the Associated Press moved regarding the fine from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The 86-year-old owner was shown in a YouTube video with his middle fingers extended on each hand as he looked out over the crowd from the owner’s box on the east side of the stadium and later repeated the gestures at the conclusion of the game.

Adams issued an apology for his actions on Monday, and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters in Charlotte, N.C., that he would have to review the situation.

Goodell had been at Sunday’s game and been in the suite with Adams prior to the owner's actions. When Adams made the gestures from his box, Goodell had gone into the stands to sit with fans in Section 104.

"I saw that he publicly apologized, and that’s really all I have to say," Coach Jeff Fisher said Monday afternoon. "I know having spoken with him over the last couple of weeks, he was really excited about this game, and the significance of this game, and the fact that Mr. [Ralph] Wilson was coming in and they’re close.

"There’s been some tremendous matchups over the years between the two clubs, the playoff loss up there and the Music City Miracle here, so there’s a great deal of history there, and I know this was a game he’d been looking forward to," added Fisher.

In the past, then-Atlanta Falcons quarterback was fined $10,000 by the league and donated another $10,000 for a similar gesture, while former San Francisco 49ers kicker Joe Nedney, a former Titan, was fined $7,500 for an obscene hand gesture.

Watch the YouTube video here.

By: TITAN1 on 11/16/09 at 4:36

It was worth it and a charity will benefit!

By: jwk6179 on 11/16/09 at 5:00

I agree with Tony Kornheiser that Bud Adams should have been FINED $1,000,000 and SUSPENDED from attending any NFL game for the rest of the season!

By: TITAN1 on 11/16/09 at 5:06

Of course you do. And I think Tony Kornheiser should shave his head instead of letting what little hair he has grow out. LOL!

By: artsmart on 11/16/09 at 5:11

Why was Bud bent enough to do that, has anyone heard.

By: Jokapsig on 11/16/09 at 5:33

I wonder if 'ol Bud had too many cocktails yesterday.

By: dogmrb on 11/16/09 at 6:22

His wife, deceased this year, was not at his side. I bet she'll visit him in a dream though ;-)

By: slzy on 11/16/09 at 7:23

for a closer look at bud,please find a copy of "loser takes all "

By: dargent7 on 11/17/09 at 5:47

Couldn't any of his "handlers" pull the fool down and bi**tch slap him? "No, no,...bad doggy, bad Buddy"....guy's 86, probably doesn't know what day it is. He should stick to calling game plays and coaching the team.

By: house_of_pain on 11/17/09 at 6:11

So, you guys have never given anyone a "one finger salute"? Hypocrits.
Good for you, Mr. Adams. You conveyed my sentiments exactly.
Hey, slzy, I found a book about you: "My Life as a Total Fruitcake".

By: CAH on 11/17/09 at 6:44

I've both given and received the finger salute many times in my life. I don't recall it bothering either the giver or receiver to any extent. Much ado about nothing.

Besides, dem yankees deserve more and if I had my way, anybody from Detroit would have the "Finger" etched on a pair of permanently embedded lenses so they could see it all the time.

By: sidneyames on 11/17/09 at 8:26

By: artsmart on 11/16/09 at 5:11
Why was Bud bent enough to do that, has anyone heard.

Wow! If everyone who flipped the bird or said a swear word was fined, our charities would be so much better funded.

And a "fine" paid to charities would hurt the flippers income tax return cause it's not tax deductible.

House I flip the bird in my living room; but try not to in public. Don't want to get shop by a criminal with no hand gun carry permit.

By: TITAN1 on 11/17/09 at 9:11

I thought it was funny as hell! Should he have done it? Probably not, because in this PC world the media and "Those who do no wrong" will jump all over it. Most little kids would not even know what it meant, that is until mommy and daddy had to explain it because the media wants to be sure they see it.

By: JeffF on 11/17/09 at 10:35

I personally love that even at his advanced he double-barreled AND machine-gunned the fingers. Most elderly people are more subtle in the usage, but he went full gusto. Salute.

I one day aspire to be rich and old enough to not give a damn about what people think of me.

By: d4deli on 11/17/09 at 12:10

I would love to see that $250,000 go to Metro Public Schools. The music department really needs it. I'm sorry a grown man has to act so rudely in public, but then, that says plenty about the private man too. Next time, just donate the money and leave the gesture behind. Thanks Bud.

By: kennyj on 11/17/09 at 1:03

Just goes to show what a tragedy it is when senility sets in on basic bad manners and a general lack of propriety. The criticisms of this old fool have nothing to do with PC. So much for Southern hospitality in the eyes of the rest of the country. How would Tenneseeans reacted if the shoe was on the other foot?
dargent 17--he really calls the game plays and coachs the team?????????? I think not.

By: JeffF on 11/17/09 at 2:29

I think that at this point everyone knows Bud grew up and still lives in Texas. No one nationally is seeing this as an affront to Nashville.

By: govskeptic on 11/17/09 at 3:17

Bud was just having a little fun and maybe releasing some
'ole feelings to the Bill's owner, who know or really cares.
Nice of one of our locals to supply & post on "You-tube"
the footage, he may get a free hotdog at the next game.

By: slzy on 12/24/09 at 5:57

so bud,you post as house of vain?

By: slzy on 12/24/09 at 6:08

house of pain,i hope you wake up to find little electric football players under your tree,and a big titan blue vibrator.