After first camp workout, Warmack happy 'focus is just football'

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 1:55pm

The last thing Chance Warmack wanted to worry about were the particulars of his first NFL contract.

“I’m a football player first and my main focus is just football,” he said. “I let my agent worry about the logistics of the business part. I just wanted to get back on the field as soon as possible.”

It took longer than expected — and longer than any of the league’s other 2013 first-round draft picks — but the Tennessee Titans rookie guard finally made it to the practice field Tuesday.

A day after he signed a four-year, $12.17 million deal the 10th overall selection took part in a morning walk-through and was prepared for a padded evening practice later in the day. He missed the first five days of training camp, including four days of on-field work and heard the obligatory grief from his teammates once he finally arrived.

“ ‘Big Money’s back.’ ‘The new guy’s here,’ ” he said were among the greetings he received. “They’re still giving me a hard time. It’s all fun. I’m having a good time.”

The University of Alabama product said he spent the time between the start of training camp and the conclusion of negotiations training at Tuscaloosa and studying his playbook.

He is the projected starter at right guard on an offensive line that figures to have at least two different starters from a year ago in between a pair of ninth-year tackles who missed time during the offseason because of injuries. His arrival is viewed as a significant step in the development of that unit.

“You miss a few days and you definitely miss out on some things,” Warmack conceded. “You’ve got to mesh with your teammates, especially as an offensive lineman. I worried about it. … I didn’t miss a lot of days. I’m happy that I’m back.

“This is important stuff right here, being here for practice. I signed a contract and everything but I’m most happy being here just playing football again.”

Especially since he chose to steer clear of much of the business side of things, which took precedence in recent days.

“My first time doing it, not really knowing what was going on [I thought] my agent did a good job informing me what was going on,” he said. “… Everything worked out.”