Fisher: Kearse won't be fined for leaving stadium

Monday, October 12, 2009 at 6:28pm
jevon_kearse.jpg
Kearse

Jevon Kearse won’t be fined for not hanging around for Sunday night’s 31-9 loss to the Indianapolis Colts after being declared a healthy scratch.

Fisher confirmed that Kearse did not stay for the game, as inactive players usually do on game day, and the coach said the matter was between him and the defensive end.

“This is between he and I. It was a big game. It was an emotional thing, and we’ll sort it out,” Fisher said. “As far as the message is concerned, he’s a good teammate, he’s had a great career and he’s still got a lot left.

“He won’t be fined for that. Again, that’s between he and I.”

Fisher was never clear as to whether game-day inactives are required to stay around for home games or if Kearse violated a team rule by doing so. But inactive players almost always are accounted for on the sideline.

“My rules don’t change from year to year. I have consistent rules. But again, this is between Jevon and I,” Fisher said.

Kearse had started every game since returning to the Titans in 2008, but was declared inactive Sunday night so Tennessee could keep Dave Ball active for just the second time this season.

“There are a lot of moving parts, and I think in Jevon’s case, again you referenced the fact that he wasn’t there, again this is between he and I, when you let a player know 90 minutes before kickoff that he’s going to be inactive, that’s a hard thing to accept,” Fisher said. “And I don’t blame him for having a tough time dealing with that. It was a decision we made, and it was a last-minute decision. I wanted to keep Dave up, and we wanted to move up.”

Fisher pointed out that with Jason Jones out with a shoulder injury at defensive tackle, Ball could fill in there in a pinch if needed.

Still no change

With the murmurs beginning to build to a crescendo in some circles over the Titans starting quarterback, Jeff Fisher said he remains committed to Kerry Collins as his starter, but did not rule out making a change down the line, if he felt it was necessary.

“You’ll just have to wait and see, I guess. I’ve been doing this a long time, and right now that’s not the root of our problem. It’s a team issue that we have to improve as a team,” Fisher said.

Asked what effect a potential change at quarterback might have on the locker room in the way of sending a message to his winless team, Fisher replied, “I didn’t say I was going to. I said there’s a possibility. I didn’t say when I was going to, and I didn’t say when I was going to. Kerry is our starter, and Vince is our backup. I’d be happy to field more questions about it, but I’ve made my point. You can speculate all you want about how that’s going to affect the team, and how that’s going to happen. I didn’t say I was going to do that.”

Collins has completed 106 of 185 passes for 1,078 yards with five touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Fisher said the Titans need to improve in all areas, especially running the football in order for all other problems to be righted.

“It all starts with our ability to run the football better, and we need to do that,” Fisher said. “The quarterback play improves, the defensive play improves and special teams play improves. It starts there.”

Questionable calls?

Fisher said he disagreed with at least one of the roughing the passer calls on Peyton Manning that gave the Colts 30 of their 93 yards on a touchdown drive just before halftime that put Sunday night’s game out of reach.

Kyle Vanden Bosch was flagged for hitting Manning low, and then a few plays later, Jacob Ford was flagged or delivering a hard hit on the Colts quarterback after he released the football. It was Ford’s hit Fisher took the bigger issue with.

“I don’t think there was any intent. He wasn’t high, he wasn’t late. But they’re gonna protect quarterbacks,” Fisher said of Ford’s hit. “Quarterbacks are an important part of our game, but again, the Jacob Ford hit, I didn’t think the contact was extreme or unnecessary.”

He said that he felt Vanden Bosch was blocked into Manning, and that no penalty flag should have been thrown there, but understood why it was called in the name of protecting quarterbacks.

“Anytime a quarterback is hit in the knee area, there’s a good chance there’s going to be a call,” Fisher said. “In this particular case, I felt like Kyle was coming off a block. The rule states that if a defender is blocked into or fouled into, then it should not be called. I felt like he was coming off a block, but you can see that.”

Harper undergoes surgery

Cornerback Nick Harper underwent surgery Monday afternoon to repair his broken right forearm, Coach Jeff Fisher said.

Harper’s injury apparently is similar to Vincent Fuller’s, and he will miss four-to-six weeks after undergoing the procedure, so it won't necessarily be season-ending.

“I believe it will be about the same as Vinnie, so it will be four to six weeks,” Fisher said. “We’ve got a bye week coming, and if Nick ends up being four weeks, he ends up playing the last eight games. We’ll be stretched a little bit thin for the next couple of weeks, which we have been, but our hope is we’ll get them both back.”

Also, tight end Craig Stevens, who suffered a concussion after colliding with teammate Michael Griffin on the opening kickoff, was discharged from the hospital Monday morning and will be out an undetermined amount of time with the injury.

By: courier37027 on 10/12/09 at 6:20

Terry, you wrote "...between he and the defensive end." Should be, "...between him and the defensive end. Him is prepositional object. He would be a subject pronoun.

By: courier37027 on 10/12/09 at 6:22

I know you later quoted someone using incorrect grammar. As a writer you should know better in your paraphrased, unquoted second paragraph.

By: dogmrb on 10/12/09 at 8:47

"My rules don’t change from year to year. I have consistent rules. But again, this is between Jevon and I,” Fisher said.

Yes, rules don't change and some, grammar, have been around for a long time, Jeff: "between Jevon and me", n ot I.

I do think that some of our problems as a nation relate to the fluid nature of everything cultural. Grammar is not related to government or church but it does take some time spent with "learning" . Anything one knows how to do well, football or correct grammar, just takes time and discipline.

By: frank brown on 10/12/09 at 8:53

dogmrb

I agree with you. grammar among english speaking Americans is a problem. I have it on my list of things to correct as number 6,337.

By: slzy on 10/12/09 at 8:57

can't blame anyone for trying to beat the traffic.

By: slzy on 10/12/09 at 9:06

dog makes an excellent point,and where i won't correct grammar or spelling in posts,i believe college educated athletes,as jeff is,and a professional journalist ,as terry is supposed to be,should indeed be held to a higher standard of their stock in trade.

By: willtw on 10/12/09 at 9:38

Grammar is important BUT what happened to the direct subject of this article???? With 10 of 11 returning players for 2009, 0 for 5???????I would not try and guess what the issues are but one has to point to the coaching staff starting at the TOP....It's interesting that almost to the man, those who have left Tennessee are doing great elsewhere. It doesn't require a PSL to recognize "trouble in Gotham City..."

By: jps13pat on 10/12/09 at 10:29

Are we really talking grammar in a sports forum?! Terry, the article is grammatically fine from where I sit. I read to learn about the Titans; not to gain some extrinsic educational value from paying particular attention to the grammar of the article.

On to what matters - I can understand why Jevon is mad. However, if he didn't want to get put on the inactive list, maybe he should have played a little better. Our record is worse than the Lions. Nobody's job should feel safe at this point.

By: sidneyames on 10/13/09 at 6:55

Did you mean grammar or grandma? I think people who know correct grammar sometimes "mis-speak" under pressure or when they are not thinking but speaking on the run. Kind of like dropping the football when a player is on the run trying to catch it. We love the Titans - whether winning or losing. But more so when they are winning.

By: blktenn on 10/13/09 at 6:55

It's Jevon Kearse fault NOT Kerry's. That's why the Titans are losing.

Jeff Fisher said as long as we are winning Kerry's our QB !!!!!!!
It's ok to lie JEFF They are just B____ Players and fans don't care about them (LOL)

Fill in the Blank!!

By: blktenn on 10/13/09 at 6:59

Oct 12 QB Kerry Collins remains the starter, as the Titans are reluctant to make the switch to Vince Young. Collins was 19 of 32 for 164 yards, but was picked off for the seventh time this season, matching last year's season total.

Oct 12 Collins completed 19-of-32 passes Sunday night for just 164 yards. He did not throw a touchdown and threw one interception.

Oct 12 Collins was 19 of 32 for 164 yards with an interception in Sunday's 31-9 loss to the Colts and was pulled in the fourth quarter.
Advice: Despite being replaced, coach Jeff Fisher said Collins remains his starter and isn't the problem for the team's 0-5 start. The Titans visit the Patriots next Sunday.

By: blktenn on 10/13/09 at 7:00

YOU CAN SAY 0 IN 6

By: blktenn on 10/13/09 at 7:07

#93 Kyle Vanden Bosch, DE 2009-2010

Tack 13
FF 1
Int 0.0
Sack 0.0

Fisher Holds OUT Kearse......

MUST BE A WHITE THING

By: Mower on 10/13/09 at 7:37

The Titans don't have a good option at QB. Looking like they rode Collins as far as they are going to be able to ride him last year, but I don't think VY is the answer either. Unfortunately, if they finish with a top 5 draft pick, they are probably going to need to spend it on a QB, which is a shame since that need should have been addressed four years ago.

By: TitansFan035 on 10/13/09 at 7:52

JUST FIRE FISHER !!

By: junglejim on 10/13/09 at 8:07

well it goes to show kearse is not a good team player. he should of stayed around and supported his team mate. poor baby took his football and went home.

By: junglejim on 10/13/09 at 8:09

vanden bosch did a dirty hit on my man peyton.....bald headed dirty player.

By: Nashville-Florist on 10/13/09 at 9:26

Kearse has not played well at all. I think they overachieved last year in just about every phase. This let down or come back to reality was to be expected. They are not a very talented team and they need to get much better on D as that needs to be the strength of this team.

By: Tull on 10/13/09 at 9:40

#93 Kyle Vanden Bosch, DE 2009-2010

Tack 13
FF 1
Int 0.0
Sack 0.0

Fisher Holds OUT Kearse......

MUST BE A WHITE THING

It is!

By: wayneCaluger on 10/13/09 at 9:52

Again, the Titans need to fix their defensive problems. Not factoring in last nights Jets vs. Dolphins game, 12 teams have scored fewer points than the Titans and that includes several teams with far better records than the Titans including the 3-1 Jets (74 points) with Arizona/Kurt Warner scoring 1 more point (85) than the Titans 84.

However, on the defensive side there are only three teams who have given up more points than the Titans 134; The Rams (146); Lions (162) and Buc’s (140) while the 3-1 Jets had scored only 74 points up until last nights loss, but the Jets defense has only allowed their opponents to score 57 points against them.

The lesson those clamoring for Collins head could learn from the Kearse situation in that while Javon may not be getting the job done (4 tackles and 1 sack so far this season) neither did David Ball (1 tackle or equal to Javon four game average). So in the end the Titans physically lost Kearse in a game in which his services may have been needed had Ball gotten hurt. On the mental side time will only tell if Javon does better or worse since the signal to him now is, find yourself a Realtor before the season officially ends.

You have to look at both the physical and mental aspects of the game if you have any hope of winning any games including the three or four we have a shot at winning. Changing quarterbacks will not solve anything until the Titans defense starts stopping the other team offense. The Titans are 29th in defense and tied for 22nd in offense meaning 22 teams have scored more points than the Titans. But the tell tale sign is the 0-5 Bronco’s have only given up 43 points, 1-3 Jets 57, 0-5 Saints 66, 3-1 Falcons 67 and the beat goes on.

Until you fix the defense no need to even fret over the offense. Changing quarterbacks is like two guys exchanging their dirty underwear, it’s a change but no change in the situation. Both still have dirty underwear.

By: Cowboy84 on 10/13/09 at 9:56

Like the Fisher rule that you don't lose your job because you're injured; unless you're VY and the team is winning.

By: titansfb on 10/13/09 at 10:04

blktenn would you plz go away I am so sick every day of reading your racial comments. If you dont like who the Titans are playing then dont watch. Why dont you go for an all black NFL league huh??? For real grow up and get over yourself. Its not all about you and the black folk!!
IF the Titans were racist why are they playing Bulluck? Washington? Johnson? Gage? These are just a few of the black men the Titans are playing and they are playing ok and dont have attitudes and dont go off crying and saying they going to committ suicide if something dont go there way.
Jevon Kearse issue... I think theres more to the story than we are being told.
At this point we need to pull all the starters and let the back ups play (other than the backups already out there) It cant hurt! Only problem is they still get paid the big $$ whether they lose or win. I personally would like to see this change and have it made to where you are paid by performance. Then maybe some of these boys would step up and play.
No matter what I will watch the Titans even if they are 0-10 I dont care. They are our home team and do a lot for our community. Go Titans turn this around - yaw can do it!!

By: jwk6179 on 10/13/09 at 2:51

This is the reason why the Titans are 0-5 and on the verge of being 0-6 after this week. Players fighting with each other on the bench, stupid penalties by the defense, too many me first players like Jevon Kearse that leaves the stadium and heads to who knows where just instead of staying and supporting and cheering on his teammates because he was de-activated for the game and a back-up QB who acted like he wasn't interested at all in the game and then, when asked to go into the game in the 4th quarter, acted as if he didn't know what was going on at the time. It's being to look like Jeff Fisher may be on the verge of losing this team. I'm looking for whole sale changes next year in the roster and maybe even in the coaching staff!

By: slzy on 10/13/09 at 2:52

what did you semi-literate titan lovers do before they arrived here?

By: TITAN1 on 10/13/09 at 3:28

jw, we agree on one thing, I can't stand players that are" all about me." It doesn't matter if they are on a team that is winning or a team that is losing. Take Brett Farve," I'm going to retire, no, I'm not going to retire, I'll let you know when I decide, but it will be after training camp. Ok, I decided I am retiring, no wait, I'll sign with you !" Year after year, same old crap with him, its ME! ME! ME!! I know exactly what you mean, jw!

By: TITAN1 on 10/13/09 at 3:31

slzy, I was not the one sitting next to you in your knitting class. You can bet on that!

By: titansfb on 10/14/09 at 6:52

slzy we were next to you in reading class

By: terry r payne on 10/14/09 at 10:51

Jevon is so sexy

By: MetalMan on 10/14/09 at 12:52

There's our strict disciplinarian coach at his finest. Maybe that has a part to play as to why we're winless.

By: TITAN1 on 10/14/09 at 2:02

And yet we had the best regular season record in the NFL last year with the same coach.

By: slzy on 2/23/10 at 12:34

tittinone,you could not make the grade in knitting class.

after mommie and daddy are gone,you can get shoes with velcro closures.