Fisher not satisfied with Young's electronic apology

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 5:00pm

Jeff Fisher wants Vince Young to man up.

The Tennessee Titans’ coach confirmed Wednesday an ESPN.com report that Young apologized in a text message Tuesday for his actions during and immediately following Sunday’s overtime loss to the Washington Redskins.

He also made it clear, though, that he considered the gesture insufficient.

"I'm not a real big text guy,” Fisher said. “I'm not really into this new age stuff, I don't Twitter or Tweet.

“But I think face to face is a man thing, OK?”

According to the report, Young “thanked Fisher for the opportunity to play for the Titans and wished him and the team good luck for the rest of the season. Young ended the text by asking Fisher to have more faith and confidence in him moving forward.”

“Someone could have grabbed his phone,” Fisher said.

Fisher said Young forfeited his role as the starting quarterback when he openly pouted on the sidelines and stormed out of the locker room Sunday. Young was disappointed that he was not allowed to return to the contest after he sustained a torn tendon in the thumb on his throwing hand.

Young will require season-ending surgery and was placed on injured reserve Tuesday because of the injury.

Smith ready to go: Rookie quarterback Rusty Smith, who will make his first career start Sunday at Houston, spent extra time at practice throwing with receivers Randy Moss, Nate Washingon and Justin Gage as well as tight end Bo Scaife.

“I’ve been throwing with the scout team and the younger guys,” Smith said. “Vince and Kerry [Collins] have been getting the reps with the older guys so I’m just trying to get on the same page with the guys I’m going to be throwing to in the game.

Smith called the opportunity to start “a dream come true” but said he figures to be nervous prior to kickoff.

“I expect the nerves to kick in a little bit, as they should,” he said. “I heard somebody say if you’re not nervous then you’re not ready.”

Mariani honored: Rookie return man Marc Mariani was named AFC special teams player of the week for his performance against the Redskins.

He had an 87-yard punt return for a touchdown, which helped raise his league-leading punt return average to 17.1 yards. That puts him on pace to break the franchise record of 15.4 set in 1977 by Billy “White Shoes” Johnson.

“It’s a little bittersweet,” Mariani said. “You’d always like to win the game above all else.”

Welcome back: Chris Simms was back with the team — any team — for the first time since the Titans waived him on Sept. 4.

The 30-year-old was re-signed to take Young’s place on the active roster.

“It actually worked out well because I was living in Green Hills the whole time with my family,” he said. “… A couple of times I thought something was going to happen but either the team made another move or just didn’t sign anybody.”

Simms will be the backup to Smith on Sunday at Houston.

Injury update: Among the Titans who did not practice Wednesday were defensive end Dave Ball (concussion), defensive tackles Jason Jones (knee) and Tony Brown (knee), and kicker Rob Bironas (groin).

Collins (calf), wide receiver Kenny Britt (hamstring) and tight end Craig Stevens (knee), all of whom missed the Washington game, all sat out as well.

By: TITAN1 on 11/24/10 at 4:07

I don't blame him. If he wants to apologize he can call him or meet with him.

By: richgoose on 11/24/10 at 4:18

At least it is a start towards resolving whatever portion of their disagreement can be resolved.. If Vince wants the upper hand he should meet with Fisher face to face.
Then the healing can start for every single Titan fan and Vince Young fan.

By: brrrrk on 11/24/10 at 4:41

Texting an apology? Really? Just one more indicator that VY needs some growin' up lessons. I agree with Fisher, face-to-face is a man thing, so as they say, man up Vince.... and don't write a check your ass can't cash.

By: wataboutbob on 11/24/10 at 5:21

I think Bud snuck Young's phone and sent the txt msg.

By: TITAN1 on 11/24/10 at 5:52

wataboutbob, good one!

By: jamtitan on 11/24/10 at 9:27

First I want to say that my prayers are with Mike Heimerdinger.
I understand that Vince Young (VY) made some BAD judgment calls. Yes, VY is ONE of the leaders on the Titans team. I also wonder who was supposed to tell Coach Fisher the prognosis on Vince’s condition to begin with??? Did the trainers not take Vince to the back? HMM. Was Vince trying to throw the ball on the sidelines after returning to the sidelines and Coach Fisher did not see that? I also think what VY did after the game is unacceptable: but I bet there is ONE fan out here that is HAPPY because they got a TITAN”S jersey that belonged to VY if that is any consolation. Do I think that VY NEEDS to man up and talk to Coach face to face? YES! Do I think VY needs to talk to the team? YES! Oh there is also the fan base for the TITANS!!
VY needs to clean HIS side of the street and claim responsibility for HIS actions AND Yes it is time to grow up! I also can relate to what he said in the text message and I quote VY “thanked Fisher for the opportunity to play for the Titans and wished him and the team good luck for the rest of the season. That statement makes me think about how the Titans treated Steve McNair right before they traded him!
JamFanTitan

By: TITAN1 on 11/25/10 at 6:35

Steve McNair was not treated badly, his agent made things look bad. The press jumped on what Bus Cook was selling. You really should go back and review ALL the details.

By: richgoose on 11/25/10 at 8:18

Titan1.....It is not often that you look at a situation from an abstract point of view and come up with a realistic viewpoint. Today, you hit the nail right on the head.

You are 100% correct.

By: daKine7 on 11/26/10 at 8:26

What's all this "man up" talk?
It's either be a "class act" or go home.

By: rdavid on 11/26/10 at 12:10

Real, mature, professionals NEVER use texting to do professional business. VY, or any player for that matter, should "man up" and at least make a phone call, but even better, show up in person and either apologize or make his case. The electronic device age has make wussies out of so many adults and they don't realize simply facing someone shows maturity, professionalism, and dedication. It's like VY couldn't be bothered with taking the time to show respect for himself or his team. BOOT THE BABY!

By: dgallent on 11/27/10 at 3:01

Just spoke to Jeff and he said a white Maybach for Christmas would be a nice first step.