Highly recruited BA quarterback makes his college choice

Monday, June 18, 2012 at 10:52pm

Brentwood Academy quarterback Max Staver, a four-star national recruit, has committed to play football at Florida.

The 6-foot-5, 235-pound Brentwood Academy rising senior got a call from Gators head coach Will Muschamp on Monday and immediately committed to the Gators.

"I became very close to their coaching staff during the recruiting process and when they called, I committed right away,'' Staver said Monday night. "And I can go into my senior season without having to worry about the [recruiting process].

“I'm glad it's over with. Honestly, it's been very hectic. It's been fun but stressful too.''

Staver had a truckload of Division I offers, with Louisville, Memphis, Michigan State, Tennessee State and Duke among them. In recent weeks, he said he narrowed his decision down to Florida and Mississippi State with Alabama, Auburn and LSU coming in later.

"I loved their campus, their academics and of course, their great football,'' Staver said of Florida. "And I've always wanted to get a chance to play in the SEC, which is definitely the best conference in the country.''

Staver said the coaches assured him he would play quarterback, rather than switch positions.

"Absolutely, that's what I've been playing all my life,'' he said.

In a monster junior season, Staver completed 63 percent of his passes, threw for 1,872 yards, 19 touchdowns and just four interceptions and led the Eagles to the Division II quarterfinals.

"I went to a lot of quarterback camps, and I guess I impressed enough people to be fortunate to have received all the offers I've gotten,'' he said.

New BA coach Cody White said: "It has been crazy and a bit overwhelming. I'm glad for Max that he's gotten this out of the way, and I'm excited for him.''

Staver is the Nashville area's top prospect in the 2013 class.

By: Rasputin72 on 6/19/12 at 5:53

Brentwood Academy may not be the academic center of the private school world but they turn out a lot of athletes.

By: shinestx on 6/19/12 at 6:06

Staver will make a good, solid backup. He will not be a starter at UF, ever!

By: govskeptic on 6/19/12 at 7:57

Is there a bias against UT at Brentwood Academy, there are about 3 other
states that appear to get a majority of their players?

By: 4gold on 6/19/12 at 10:04

VU not even mentioned. UT is off the map.

By: JeffF on 6/19/12 at 11:29

BA has sent kids to Auburn in the past, but UT still has gotten a majority of the SEC talent from the school. Tennessee is not a recruiting juggernaut right now but this young man was caught in a time slot issue for QBs at Tennessee. Most prime QBs do not want to sit for 2-3 years and he chose a school that will give him an opportunity his first or second year.

The SEC is just not a passing QB driven conference right now. Defenses and running are winning trophies for the most part.

By: NFA on 6/23/12 at 6:56

"Staver will never play quarterback at the high school level"
"Staver is too slow"
"Staver is too mechanical"
"The only way Staver will play college football is as a tight end"
"Staver, what makes you think you can start at QB for Brentwood Academy?"
"Staver has an unorthodox throwing motion"
"Staver stares down receivers"
"I am surprised Staver even got a Memphis offer"
"Staver has no big offers"

And now add this quote to the mix: "Staver will make a good, solid backup. He will not be a starter at UF, ever!

Staver wants to thank 'shinestx' and all the Doubters for fueling his fire and helping him obtain his pledge to lead the Florida gators Football Program!