NFL opts not to slot Titans in prime time in Munchak's first season

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 6:17pm

Mike Munchak will not be able to hide under the cover of darkness.

With one exception, Munchak will perform his duties in his first season as Tennessee Titans head coach in the light of day. Fifteen of the Titans’ 16 regular-season games this fall will kick off at noon Central time.

The one exception will be Nov. 6, when Tennessee hosts Cincinnati in a contest slated to start at 3:05 p.m.

The lack of prime-time games is an indication that the league and its television partners do not view the Titans as a team that can draw widespread interest. Either that or they prefer to take a wait-and-see approach to Munchak’s impact.

“For me as a coach and as a player, I’ve always loved playing the noon games,” Munchak said in a release from the team Tuesday afternoon. “We’ve got 15 out of 16 that start at noon, and I like the consistency of that, the fact that you just get up, get dressed and go to the stadium and play.  I think guys really enjoy doing it that way rather than sitting and waiting to play later in the day.”

The NFL released its complete 2011 schedule Tuesday afternoon even though owners have locked out players for more than a month and most other offseason business has been put on hold.

Munchak’s debut as a head coach will take place on the road, Sept. 11 at Jacksonville. The home-opener will be the following week against long-time rival Baltimore.

Unlike a year ago, the Titans’ six AFC South games will be divided equally between the first and second halves of the season. Houston and Indianapolis will come to LP Field for back-to-back games Weeks 7 and 8, respectively. The season will conclude with the return match against all three division foes, capped by a visit to Houston on New Year’s Day.

“It’s always exciting when you first get the schedule,” Munchak said. “I think it’s great to play a division game right away and open up with Jacksonville, like we have three out of the last five years now. It makes the opener that much more significant that we get a division opponent right away.”

The complete 2011 Titans’ regular season schedule:

Sept. 11 at Jacksonville, noon (CBS)

Sept. 18 vs. Baltimore, noon (CBS)

Sept. 25 vs. Denver, noon (CBS)

Oct. 2 at Cleveland, noon (CBS)

Oct. 9 at Pittsburgh, noon (CBS)

Oct. 16 Bye

Oct. 23 vs. Houston, noon (CBS)

Oct. 30 vs. Indianapolis, noon (CBS)

Nov. 6 vs. Cincinnati, 3:05 p.m. (CBS)

Nov. 13 at Carolina, noon (CBS)

Nov. 20 at Atlanta, noon (CBS)

Nov. 27 vs. Tampa Bay, noon (Fox)

Dec. 4 at Buffalo, noon (CBS)

Dec. 11 vs. New Orleans, noon (Fox)

Dec. 18 at Indianapolis, noon (CBS)

Dec. 24 vs. Jacksonville, noon (CBS)

Jan. 1 at Houston, noon (CBS)

By: richgoose on 4/19/11 at 6:50

The Titans have lost their luster in Nashville. The city I think understands that the Titans were a moneymaking venture for Bud Adams. He has displayed that for 50 years. The Titans are one of the teams that champions go through on their way to glory.

The Titans are misfits and a haven for temporary wealth and long term punkism.

By: iTiSi on 4/19/11 at 8:50

Not to worry. I'm sure the "Raiders of the South" will get plenty of nighttime exposure on "AMERICA'S MOST WANTED". You people in Nashville who spend your hard-earned money to go out and watch a mediocre team year in and year out just to line BA's pockets need some serious counseling and head-examining.

By: courier37027 on 4/19/11 at 9:51

As any of the Titans blind faithful fans will tell you, this is a 16 wins team in the making. Sadly, it will take three years for this squad to win those 16 games.

Anyone for an over/under bet? Which number will be greater: regualr season wins or Titans players arrested?

By: courier37027 on 4/20/11 at 12:42

regualr = regular. Typo apologies.

By: TITAN1 on 4/20/11 at 6:17

frankbrown/richgoose with his usual nonsense. You are the misfit. Courier, shouldn't you be getting ready for the marathon, you know that boring running thing you like to do. itisi, says "You people in Nashville". Don't worry about us, just go on with your boring life.

By: house_of_pain on 4/20/11 at 6:31

Wow, it must be troll mating season. You "people" really should get a hobby.

Go Titans!

By: fdanshep on 4/20/11 at 6:51

I am proud to be a Titans fan and have the tat to prove it. There will always be those who live to spew the negative. There are many fan bases in the NFL that would love to have what we have here in Nashville. I suspect that even if the Titans were going to the Super Bowl every year Richgoose and Courier would be able to find the negative in their success. I'll be there as long as I am able and about 67,000 others will be there along side.

By: richgoose on 4/20/11 at 7:21

Bud Adams loves people like fdanshep and Titan1, as he should !

By: treehugger7 on 4/20/11 at 7:38

Wow, the first and possibly only time I ever agreed with you, rich goose. I was against the whole scheme to start with.

By: TITAN1 on 4/20/11 at 7:59

treehugger must have been one of those dreaded 'NO' people. Why don't you go hug a cactus, I know it isn't a tree, but you sound too dumb to know the difference.

By: TITAN1 on 4/20/11 at 8:01

frankbrown/richgoose, all sports owners love their REAL fans. I bet you feel stupid now, huh?

By: theantidem on 4/20/11 at 8:45

Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause, World Champian Titans!!!!
As long as Bubba A holds the purse strings, that is.

By: TITAN1 on 4/20/11 at 9:04

theantidem, please don't quit your day job.

By: theantidem on 4/20/11 at 9:10

TITAN1 Keep blowing out them candles and making those wishes, but not in Buds lifetime
or yours.

By: fdanshep on 4/20/11 at 9:17

When Nissan was deciding whether to stay in LA or move their corporate headquarters, I'm sure that they looked at many things; location, tax base, quality of life. That is true of many companies that have chosen to move or expand here. It doesn't matter if some are in Rutherford or Williamson, these folks seek much of their entertainment and purchases in Davidson County. The Titans and Preds surely were a substantial part of the equation in making those decisions. Tree Hugger, come out of the woods and enjoy the experience! Rich Goose, I'm afraid there's no hope for you.

By: LFCRed on 4/20/11 at 9:28

Who cares?!?! The NFL's gotten as bad as the NBA: me-me-me, tatted up thugs.
Go Pred's!

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

By: TITAN1 on 4/20/11 at 9:31

@ theantidem: "them candles"? LOL!

By: house_of_pain on 4/20/11 at 9:41

Agreed, fdanshep.

By: nashtnman on 4/20/11 at 10:17

Plant a Pig Program!

In Texas and across the SouthEast, they have an over abundance of crop-eating feral pigs. One Win-Win scenario could involve relocating them all across the country and just plant them everywhere a mosque is being planned!

After all, 'contaminated' soil would surely drift... And they could create better jobs programs by hiring soil testers to determine where contaminated soil existed.

Of course, high on the mountaintops of the Rockies or other mountain ranges, they might find some uncontaminated soil, but then building a mosque there would pose a slew of other problems.

Americans, put on your thinking caps and let’s find a solution to this problem of a fast-spreading veiled menace to the American way of life!

Strategically-placed carcasses might also stem the tide of Jihadists crossing our porous southern borders (and save those poor freezing cold coyotes;-).

DHS pencil-pushers might also enact a second national safety symbol and motto "IN PIGS WE TRUST and BBQ!"

If pigs are the answer, let’s do it!

Porcine Committee for the Betterment of America! PCBA

Let’s keep this idea going!

By: courier37027 on 4/20/11 at 10:44

TITAN1, are you sticking by that 10-6 prediction?

By: TITAN1 on 4/20/11 at 10:57

Yes, I think it is a reasonable prediction, give or take a game.

By: richgoose on 4/20/11 at 11:46

Titan1.......You assume incorrectly that Bud Adams has the fans interest on the same level as his. You are not the sharpest knife in the box but you are a loyal fan of the Titans if Al Capone and Willie Sutton were the owners. There is nothing wrong with that. You are good hard working middle class citizen. You do not have to justify your interests or for that matter your vices. Just for the sake of absolution,why don't you for once in your life make an assumption that the world you live in does not fit thinking people.

By: TITAN1 on 4/20/11 at 12:15

frankbrown/richgoose, did you sell your PSLs or were you lying when you said you own them? Oh, and your act of thinking you are better than everyone else is getting old. You need new material, after all, that is the only reason you post here, to get attention. I'm sorry you are that lonely of a person. I try to humor you, but you really are getting dull.

By: richgoose on 4/20/11 at 3:29

I did sell the PSL. I bought a share of a box. I used it twice last season. My agreement has two more years. I intend to drop out of the partnership. I do not spend enough time in Nashville during the fall and winter.

I admire your tenacity and hope that you get a raise this year.

By: TITAN1 on 4/20/11 at 3:51

There you go again thinking you are better than me, you have no idea what I make for a living and it really isn't any of your business. Oh, and feel free to spend less time in Nashville during the spring and summer also. It would be a lot less hot air we would have to deal with.