Stacy sets career rushing record; Vanderbilt defeats Auburn

Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 3:32pm

Zac Stacy became Vanderbilt’s all-time leading rusher and the Commodores — in some ways — overcame themselves as much as they did Auburn in a 17-13 victory Saturday at Vanderbilt Stadium.

Stacy broke Frank Mordica’s mark of 2,632 yards (set from 1976-79) when he ripped off a 27-yard run in the fourth quarter. The senior finished with 169 yards on 27 attempts and raised his career total to 2,670 with five (possibly six) games remaining.

“Really and truly, I didn’t go into the game thinking about the record,” he said. “I came into the game trying to get a [win]. I’m very honored to break the record and … this win gives us a lot of confidence going into the rest of the season.”

Vanderbilt (3-4, 2-3 in the SEC) never trailed but committed the game’s only three turnovers (all fumbles) and gave the ball directly to Auburn (1-6, 0-5) three more times on failed fourth-down attempts.

Five plays after he set the record Stacy committed the final fumble. That gave Auburn the ball at its own 32 with 2:24 to play and a chance to win. The threat ended on a failed fourth-down pass with 52 seconds remaining, the Tigers’ only fourth-down attempt.

Conversely, Vanderbilt was successful twice on fourth down in a 16-play, 75-yard touchdown drive that lasted 8:25 to start the game and ended with a seven-yard Wesley Tate touchdown run.

The next three tries, beginning with a fake punt from its own 43 early in the second quarter failed. That produced the first fumble and led directly to Auburn’s first points, a field goal. The Tigers failed to convert either of the other takeaways into points.

“I do think you make progress when you don’t play your best and still find a way to win a game against an SEC opponent,” coach James Franklin said. “… We were aggressive early on with some fourth downs. We did it in the first quarter, we converted and we went down and scored. Everybody says it’s a great decision. We went for it later in the game and it doesn’t work out — bad decision, coach is an idiot. I’ll live with that.”

By: Rasputin72 on 10/20/12 at 3:46

I thought I had seen every possible edition of a Vanderbilt attempt at a renaissance. I was wrong. This Vanderbilt team had to overcome some terrible playcalling by James Franklin to get this victory.

The renaissance lasts for another couple of weeks. (UMass) next Saturday.

Next year I think they have four patsies on their schedule. They only need a couple of wins against real teams to become bowl elgible.

In the meantime,Congratulations Vanderbillt for outstanding wins over Missouri and Auburn.

By: 4gold on 10/21/12 at 7:00

Talk about a perfect Saturday. Second SEC win for VU and then get to come home and watch Rocky Flops get blown off its own fleld. Good Ole Rocky Flop Whoooh. Double my pleasure double my fun. Go Dores!

Go Dores, Preds, Titans! Go Nashville a great place to live!

By: joe41 on 10/21/12 at 10:06

We will take the wins however they come. Lets keep it going against the Minutemen Saturday. To win over Auburn while playing relatively poorly speaks volumes for this team.

Joe

By: wiseguy1 on 10/22/12 at 7:56

By playing poorly, you mean the offense and/or special teams. I thought D played reasonalby well. As the D has done for so many years, taken up the slack from offense and speacial teams errors/bungles. D will do even better with more 8:25 possessions resulting in scores.

Rogers running was timid at best compared to SoCar & UGa games. On two occasions if he had taken a baseball slide or even head first slide, there would have been no question about ball getting past 1st down marker. On two others he completely missed the seam to squirt through for 6 or 7, instead opted to run right to defense to manage a no gain. Let a Stacy or Norman or Tate or Panu carry the ball. Not fooling anybody 7 games into the season.

Does Franklin or Donovan call the plays? I have a hard time understanding the sequencing between possessions. If you score on first possession running ... why start throwing on 1st down? Didn't see any toss sweeps or anything designed to get Kimbro on the edge in space where he can utilize speed.

As far as fake punt, I thought it was a timely call. Rest assured that VU wizards on the sidelines do a 'worst case' analysis. Obviously they have to have allot of faith in the D. In this case one of the worst cases played out ... pitch execution bungle. The view I had was a whole lotta green for Stacy had he gotten the ball. Where was teh error? Stacy out of position (too far up field) or simply a bad pitch. gotta admit I have not seen many two-handed pitches.

Go Dores!

By: jwk6179 on 10/22/12 at 9:45

After Auburn won their TAINTED National Championship in 2010, most Sportswriters that cover the SEC had Gene Chizeck rated as the third best coach in the SEC, only behind Nick Sabin and Steve Spurrier. I always felt, on the otherhand, that Gene Chizeck won with Tommy Tuberville players and a QB that the NCAA should have declare as INELLIGIABLE. Now, two seasons later, it is being proven that Gene Chizeck is amoung the worst coaches in the SEC, right there with Joker Phillips and Derek Dooley.

By: wiseguy1 on 10/22/12 at 10:34

No need to drag Phillips & Dooley down to Chizek's level. There is possibly some ethics separation there.