Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray was one of 14 selected to the 2013 College Football Hall of Fame Football Bowl Subdivision Class, the National Football Foundation announced Tuesday.
The group consists of 12 players and two coaches, including Ohio State offensive lineman Orlando Pace, Florida quarterback Danny Wuerffel and Kentucky end Steve Meilinger, who was known as “Mr. Anywhere” during his three-year career (1951-53).
“We could not be more proud to announce the 2013 College Football Hall of Fame Class,” Archie Manning, NFF Chairman and a 1989 College Football Hall of Famer from Ole Miss, said in a statement that revealed the class. “These players and coaches are some of the greatest to have ever participated in our sport, and we offer our most sincere congratulations to each of them for this incredible achievement.”
Gray was a defensive back at the University of Texas from 1981-84 and was a two-time first-team All-American (consensus in 1983, unanimous in 1984). He was the Southwest Conference player of the year in both of those seasons and a member of four consecutive bowl teams.
For his career, he made 16 interceptions, broke up 20 passes and recorded 297 career tackles. The St. Louis Rams drafted him the first round in 1985.
The class will be inducted at a Dec. 10 awards dinner in New York City and formally enshrined in the summer of 2014. In between they will be honored guests at the Sugar Bowl, Jan. 2, 2014.
To be considered for the Hall of Fame a player must be an All-American at least once, 10 years or more removed from his college career and have played within 50 years of his selection class. Meilinger, who played 60 years ago, was selected by the veterans committee.
Consideration also is given to his post-playing days record of citizenship and service.
A coach must be at least 70 years old (75 for active coaches), coached at least 10 years and 100 games with a winning percentage of .600 or better.
The complete lost of the 2013 College Football Hall of Fame Football Bowl Subdivision Class:
· Ted Brown – TB, North Carolina State (1975-78)
· Tedy Brushchi – DE, Arizona (1992-95)
· Ron Dayne – RB, Wisconsin (1996-99)
· Tommie Frazier – QB, Nebraska (1992-95)
· Jerry Gray – DB, Texas (1981-84)
· Steve Meilinger – E, Kentucky (1951-53)
· Orlando Pace – OT, Ohio State (1994-96)
· Rod Shoate (deceased) – LB, Oklahoma (1972-74)
· Percy Snow – LB, Michigan State (1986-89)
· Vinny Testaverde– QB, Miami, Fla. (1982, 1984-86)
· Don Trull – QB, Baylor (1961-63)
· Danny Wuerffel – QB, Florida (1993-96)
· Wayne Hardin – 118-74-5 (61.2%); Navy (1959-64) and Temple (1970-82)
· Bill McCartney – 93-55-5 (62.4%); Colorado (1982-94)