Titans fire offensive coordinator Chris Palmer

Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:15pm

Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak fired offensive coordinator Chris Palmer on Monday, a day after a 24-19 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Quarterback coach Dowell Loggains was promoted to offensive coordinator.

Loggains is 32 years old and has spent his entire five-year coaching career on the Titans’ staff. He was offensive quality control coach in 2008 and 2009 and was promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2010, Jeff Fisher’s final season with the team.

Palmer has 40 years of coaching experience and has been an offensive coordinator for three NFL teams. He was the third coach Munchak hired in February 2011, after offensive line coach Bruce Matthews and defensive coordinator Jerry Gray.

Munchak informed Palmer of the move in a Monday evening meeting.

“I have a great deal of respect for Chris Palmer as a coach and that was the reason we brought him here,” Munchak said in a statement released by the team. “I appreciate the time and effort he put in here and I want to wish him and his family the best moving forward.”

The Titans averaged 335.1 yards of total offense last season, an improvement from 2010, but scored just 325 points, the fewest in four seasons. Their 3,923 passing yards were the fourth-highest total in franchise history.

Through the first 11 games this season, which included the move to second-year quarterback Jake Locker, the averages for total offense and points per game are similar to last season. More importantly, though, Tennessee (4-7) currently ranks 24th in the NFL in yards per game, which is down from a year ago and has scored 20 or more points four times.

“It’s tough. … It’s just tough,” tight end Jared Cook said Monday in response to a question that was not specifically about Palmer. “We know we’re a lot better than this. We’re just not putting it out there on film right now.

“… We’re a lot better offense than this, I know. We’re a better team.”

A native of Abilene, Texas, Loggains was a quarterback and holder at the University of Arkansas (he threw one pass in his career). He broke into the NFL as a scouting assistant with the Dallas Cowboys in 2005 and came to the Titans as a coaching administrative assistant, a position he held for two years (2006-07).

“As an offense I didn’t feel like we were progressing the way that I had hoped,” Munchak said. “I believe we needed a change in direction and I hope to see that progress in our remaining games.

“Dowell has worked here for a number of years under some very successful coordinators and he is ready for this challenge.”

By: 4gold on 11/27/12 at 6:33

Still ignoring the fact they cant run the ball? Have to fire buddy Matthews for that. And no Jared I don't think you are a better team than that. Losing to a 1-9 team? Doesn't get much worse than that. Why not Gray too? Aren't they bottom three in defense too?

One more Vandy football game and thats it for city sports until Vandy rolls out its two #1 baseball recruiting classes Feb. 3. Going to be a lean winter of local interest. No hockey, no Vandy basketball and no Titans with any reason to watch. .

Go Dores, Preds, Titans! Go Nashville a great place to live!

By: TITAN1 on 11/27/12 at 6:49

4gold, you obviously, you decided to be miserable again today. God bless.

Good luck, Titans! Looking forward to the game Sunday!

By: cowboyjoe on 11/27/12 at 8:39

Now that Palmer is out, how much leash does Jerry Gray have? Outside the Miami game, the D hasn't made many plays.

By: 742180 on 11/27/12 at 9:49

Blows me away that the Titans have a 'small' fast scat-back as their running attack when the rest of the league has a large fast bruiser as their running attack.
*This team has no confidence, they play as if they expect to loose.
*There is no 'tradition' with the TN Titans
*Jarred Cook wants to be traded, he should actually catch a few passes before he bitches about playing time. Did you notice the passes he missed Sunday.
*Our defensive back field is 'horrible' ,'embarrassing', pitiful. The money spent on tying up Michael Griffin was money well spent....not!!
*Bottom line: Players don't want to play for the organization, they are just marking time until they can get a real contract and play for a winning organization.

By: ncpreader on 11/27/12 at 10:23

next up on the chopping block is Jerry Gray. OH, and we need a bunch of DBs and LBs, too. OH, and an O-line interior.

By: dargent7 on 11/27/12 at 11:03

Some QB, "He threw one pass in his career..."

By: not_guilty on 11/27/12 at 2:04

Chris Jackson has not shown himself to be capable of carrying the running game by himself. The best record the Titans have had in recent years was 13-3 in 2008, when Jackson and LenDale White each had more than 1,000 rushing yards.

Jackson plus a larger and more powerful running back would be a potent combination.

By: TITAN1 on 11/27/12 at 2:54

Chris Jackson? I need a shaking head emoticon..

By: jwk6179 on 11/27/12 at 3:11

It wouldn't surprise me if Jerry Gray is the next one to go. I think Mike Munchak may get another season before he is gone, to see if he can turn the Titans around with a new DC and OC.

By: TITAN1 on 11/27/12 at 3:16

I think you are right, jw.

By: cowboyjoe on 11/27/12 at 3:28

Here's what the classy Chris Palmer had to say after getting fired and giving Munchak a Christmas gift;
"I think when you break a quarterback in, you are going to be in a situation where you are going to have your ups and downs,’’ Palmer said. “Young quarterbacks, you have to go through this period. They just don’t step in and become great quarterbacks. It takes time to develop. And [wide receiver] Kenny Britt is not 100 percent. I just think there’s more issues than people want to admit to.

“Is it an easy process? No, it is not an easy process. It is something you just have to get through.

“But I wish them luck. . . . I respect those guys on the staff. Several of them are my friends and I hope it all works out for them. They have families and children, and I hope it works out for them.”

Asked about his replacement, quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains, Palmer was as diplomatic as possible.

“I thought he was doing a good job this year,’’ Palmer said. “Munch has known him for a longer period of time and they have a good feel for each other. But the issues are still there. I wish him luck.”

Tennessean has the quote