Titans wide receiver prospect dies of apparent suicide

Monday, July 30, 2012 at 11:22am
Staff reports

A Tennessee Titans wide receiver who failed to report to training camp committed suicide Monday, according to a report in the Tampa Bay Times.

Tampa police found O.J. Murdock on Monday morning in his car with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was taken to a hospital with critical injuries, according to the report.

He was pronounced dead at 9:43 a.m. (CDT).

“We are shocked and saddened to hear of O.J. Murdock’s death this morning," the Titans said in a statement released by the team. "In his brief time here, a number of our players, coaches and staff had grown close to O.J., and this is a difficult time for them. He spent the last year battling back from an Achilles injury as he prepared for this year’s training camp. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends as they try to cope with this tragedy.”

Murdock, a wide receiver, was a prep star in Tampa and a national champion sprinter at 14 years old. The car in which he was found was parked in front of a high school, but not the one he attended, Hillsborough High School.

He signed with the Titans last season as an undrafted free agent out of Fort Hays State but spent the season in injured reserve. He played two seasons at Fort Hays after one season at junior college.

He originally signed with South Carolina, where he redshirted in 2005 and played four games in 2006. He was dismissed after being charged with grand theft.

The Titans placed him on the reserve/did not report list when he did not show up for the start of training camp last week.

By: TITAN1 on 7/30/12 at 9:47

Tragic when anyone takes their life. I pray God will comfort his family.

By: Jughead on 7/30/12 at 9:54

God gave him the gifts, and he sent them back. I wish I had been blessed with that natural ability. I would not have to sit at a desk all day to make chump change.

Most suicide is selfish.

By: 4gold on 7/30/12 at 11:22

Probably saw the writing on the wall with all the recievers the titans have this year. He didnt bother to get an education and the injury left him with no where to go.

Go Dores, Preds, Titans!

By: TITAN1 on 7/30/12 at 11:47

4gold, someone lost their life and that is what you post?

By: NewYorker1 on 7/30/12 at 12:42

I HATE the Titans. I hope they lose every game this season and go out of business.

By: Jughead on 7/30/12 at 2:42

The Titans have sucked eggs for years. Overpriced, mediocre, BORING football.

By: TITAN1 on 7/30/12 at 2:56

They have been competitive more times than not. They are my home town team and I would never pull for any other team over them even if they went 0-16 for ten straight years. I pull for my hometown team because they ARE my hometown team. I don't pull for a team just because they win.

By: Jughead on 7/30/12 at 3:49

@Titan1: Bud Adams loves you. He can field ANYTHING and you still hang in there. I'd rather watch HS ball.

By: TITAN1 on 7/30/12 at 6:34

You don't know what supporting your home team is all about. Go with your flavor of the day or whatever away team you want. I pull for my home town and home state and I do it proudly! Thanks to Mr Adams for bringing this great franchise to Nashville.

By: joe41 on 7/30/12 at 7:24

Sorry to see the guys who didn't make the team spout off.

I am ready for some Titans football. But I am very sorry about hearing about the Tampa player.

Joe