Upset puts end to Vandy's season

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 8:28pm

TAMPA, Fla. – Maybe it wasn’t such an upset, after all.

No. 4 seed Vanderbilt barely put up a fight in losing 83-62 to No. 13 seed Siena on Friday in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the St. Pete Times Forum.

Saying “we got our butts whipped,” Commodores coach Kevin Stallings expressed disappointment in his team’s performance while also handing out praise to the underog Saints.

“It’s a bitter pill to swallow, but I thought Siena was terrific,” he said.

It was Vanderbilt's second-worst loss ever in the NCAA Tournament.

Leaky defense was VU's undoing. Siena shot 56.6 percent from the field, made of 11 of its first 17 shots and never trailed in becoming only the 17th No. 13 seed in tournament history to topple a No. 4.

“Defense was obviously the problem,” VU guard Jermaine Beal said. “Our defense let us down tonight.”

A.J. Ogilvly led Vanderbilt [26-8] with 18 points. Commodore star Shan Foster scored only 13, seven below his average, and had only two points in the second half.

Kenny Hasbrouck led Siena [23-10] with 30 points.

The Saints dismissed the notion that Friday’s game was a surprise.

“I really didn’t consider it an upset,” Siena guard Tay Fisher said. “I know we can hang with anybody in the country. When people say Cinderella, that really doesn’t come into my mind.”

Finding itself in a 16-point hole midway through the first half, Vanderbilt tried in vain to chip away in the second half.

Five straight points from reserve guard Keegan Bell cut the lead to 53-43, but Fisher answered with back-to-back 3-pointers to keep Siena in front 61-47 with 10:54 left.

A dunk by Siena’s Alex Franklin made it 67-51 with 7:00 remaining and all but finished the Commodores. VU’s Darshawn McClellan hit two free throws with 3:00 to go to make it 69-60, but the Saints again pulled away.

“We started the game and jumped on them a little bit, and that helped us,” Siena coach Fran McCaffery said. “We answered every run that they made.”

Vanderbilt players this week had voiced disappointment over being picked by many national analysts to lose Friday's game.

"Going into it, I thought we were better than them, but it's not who's better. It's who plays the best," Stallings said. "Siena played the best. Certainly the team that deserved to win won the game."

Filed under: Sports
Tagged:
By: Cowboy84 on 12/31/69 at 7:00

The two things that have gotten them beaten all year got them beaten tonight, Shan didn't score and they were on the road. I wasn't surprised they were beaten, I didn't they would get blown out, I can see why Vandy fans will be upset.

By: TITAN1 on 12/31/69 at 7:00

That was pathetic, I blame coach Stallings and every Vandy player! They should have killed them!

By: OneTimer on 12/31/69 at 7:00

We deserved this beating with that effort. The critics were right about us.

By: FAMUAce on 12/31/69 at 7:00

Why no mention of Jamie Graham's effort? He had like 3 steals and 6 points in 10 minutes of playing time. Stallings should have let him play more minutes down the stretch; he gave them a lot of energy defensively and scrapped on the offensive end.

By: BHait on 12/31/69 at 7:00

FAMUace, there's plenty more to come tonight, tomorrow and in Monday's paper on Jamie and lots of other things related to VU basketball. Be patient and check back frequently...and also check our sports blog.

By: sarcasm on 12/31/69 at 7:00

Vandy was right... they don't get any respect... no respect at all...

By: Cowboy84 on 12/31/69 at 7:00

It's an old line but it fits for the Dores; Respect is earned and the Dores got the respect they earned tonight, none.

By: frank brown on 12/31/69 at 7:00

I just got back to my hotel. This season and this team was best summarized by a "testy" Siena fan who sat next to me. When the subject of Vanderbilt's 26 wins came up. This fellow said "I did not realize that Vanderbilt had played 52 games."
"17533

By: TITAN1 on 12/31/69 at 7:00

I was upset after the game, but I am still very proud of their season and will always be a Vandy fan. Thank you, Vandy!

By: courier37027 on 12/31/69 at 7:00

To all the Wildcat and Commodore fans running smack last week: why you are quiet today?Tennessee went beyond the one-and-done of your beloved Rupp-tured 'Cats and the "genius motivator" Commo-BORE Stallings. Siena ya later, 'Dores.

By: TITAN1 on 12/31/69 at 7:00

Yep, whoever ran smack deserves the crow they get served. Now, who ran the smack?

By: courier37027 on 12/31/69 at 7:00

A couple of folks with UKFan or BlueMist in their names. Got to give you credit TITAN1. Unlike those fair weather 'Dores and 'Cats fans, you will stand behind the smack you are running.