Vanderbilt falls in double overtime, 79-73

Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 2:31pm

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- No. 13 Vanderbilt fell from the ranks of the nation's unbeaten teams with a 79-73 double-overtime loss Saturday at Kentucky.

The Commodores rallied from a 16-point deficit in the second half to send the game into overtime. VU, however, scored only one point in the second overtime and was held scoreless over the final 4:44.

UK's Ramel Bradley hit a jumper to make it 77-73 with 31.6 seconds left, and Joe Crawford followed with two free throws to seal the win for the Wildcats.

Vanderbilt produced its lowest point total of the season and made only two of 10 shots in the two overtime periods.

The Commodores (16-1) were one of only five remaining undefeated teams nationally entering Saturday's game.

"I'm disappointed in the way we played," VU coach Kevin Stallings said.

For struggling Kentucky (7-7), a win over Vanderbilt marks its biggest of the season.

"It was a great opportunity to play one of the top 25 teams and win," Crawford said.

Shan Foster led the Commodores with 20 points, while A.J. Ogilvy scored 16 and Alex Gordon added 12.

Patrick Patterson led the Wildcats with 23 points and 12 rebounds. Bradley added 20 points and Crawford scored 17.

Rebounding was decisive. Kentucky won the battle of the boards, 45-23. The Wildcats had 18 second-chance points, while the Commodores had only two. In addition, Vanderbilt committed 22 turnovers, many of the unforced variety.

VU's sloppy play helped Kentucky surge to a 23-10 lead, forcing Stallings into a timeout. At that point, the Commodores had made only four of their first 12 shots.

"We did all we could in the first 10 minutes to accomodate them," Stallings said. "The first 10 minutes were not what I was hoping for."

Trailing 46-30 with 14:25 remaining in regulation, Vanderbilt made its comeback. Back-to-back 3-pointers by Foster and Keegan Bell made it 47-43. Foster pushed the game into overtime with a 3-pointer with 14.6 seconds left, tying the game at 65.

Ogilvy sent the game into a second overtime when he scored on a put-back basket with 1.8 seconds left in the first overtime.

In the second extra period, Vanderbilt did not score a basket and managed only a free throw by Ogilvy.

"They just missed some shots," UK coach Billy Gillispie said of the Commodores. "They were probably a little tired. I know we were dreadfully tired."

Vanderbilt returns to action Thursday at Tennessee.

GOLD NUGGETS: Vanderbilt had won two straight games at Rupp Arena before losing Saturday. No team has ever won three straight at Rupp Arena against Kentucky. ...VU reserve forward Darshawn McClellan scored a career-high 10 points in 22 minutes of action. ...Commodores guard Jermaine Beal had six assists Saturday and has five or more in four of the past five games. ...Foster scored 20 or more points in a game for the 10th time this season and for the fourth time in the past five games. ...Saturday marked the first multiple-overtime game Kentucky has ever played at Rupp Arena, which opened in 1976.

Filed under: Sports