Vince Young: ‘I made a mistake’

Monday, June 14, 2010 at 3:59pm

Last year, Vince Young stayed away from the media following an injury and disappearance that led his mother to call police. He is taking a different approach to the negative attention regarding an assault at a Dallas strip club Sunday.

“About a year ago when this stuff happened to me, when I got hurt, and all of that stuff was going on; I didn’t know how to handle it at first, but I’m more accustomed to it now,” Young said. “I made my mistake, I’m owning up to my mistake, and now I’m trying to move on and get ready for the season.”

Young was involved in a 4 a.m. altercation with Club Onyx employee Creiton Kinchen. Surveillance footage captured the two men arguing for a few minutes prior to a scuffle. Young was cited for assault, which is a Class C misdemeanor with a maximum fine of $500, equivalent to a traffic violation. At organized team activies Monday, Young downplayed the incident, which resulted in a cut lip for Kinchen.

“It wasn’t no punch, as a matter of fact it was just a push,” Young said. “At first I was going to lay down in my hotel and somebody talked me into it [going to strip club],” Young said. “Bad decision, bad move on my part.”

Reports said the altercation stemmed from an anti-University of Texas (Young’s alma mater) hand gesture — an upside down “Hook ‘em’ Horns.” Young said there was more to it.

“[The upside-down horns] is disrespectful but it was more than that,” he said. “I don’t really want to get all in to it, I apologize to them [teammates] and the organization. It’s past and over with and now I’m letting my legal folks take care of it.”

Young said that his teammates have been supportive following the incident. His Longhorn and Titan teammate Bo Scaife said that it “seems like nothing is wrong” with Young on the field but noted that college fires still burn.

“If it’s a [hand gesture] coming from a Sooner it’s probably a little more disrespectful than someone from the Pac-10 or something like that,” he said. “You just don’t want to get caught in a situation like that.”

Coach Jeff Fisher, though let down, doesn’t see the incident as derailing Young’s mission to be a team leader.

“I’m disappointed, but [Young’s] taken responsibility for it, and I’d like to think he’s learned a lesson,” Fisher said. “Becoming a leader is a process, you don’t just step up and just take over a team. Throughout the process, you hope there aren’t setbacks, but this may be a setback. In the long run, I don’t think it’s going to affect him.”

The NFL is looking into the incident, but there is no word on any forthcoming punishment, such as suspension. Fisher said the team would cooperate with any decision that the league makes.

“The commissioner is very strict about these types of things, and I’m sure we’ll hear from him after we get more information,” Fisher said. “He had no business making the mistake he made and obviously he’s got to deal with those consequences.”

Fisher would not comment on any disciplinary action by the team.

“I pray to God that [NFL Commissioner] Roger Goodell don’t come [down] hard on me, because I definitely want to be there for my team,” Young said. “Right now we’ve got a team goal to finish the season in Dallas with a Super Bowl.”

By: dargent7 on 6/14/10 at 2:44

Bounce this bum from the Titans. I know Bud Adams has a fetish for him, but he's damaged goods. Will never be a leader to the playoffs and Super Bowl.
Maybe when he's 45 years old he can coach a H.S. football team. By then, he may have grown up.

By: gohomenow on 6/14/10 at 3:16

Maybe he can hang with other strip club thugs like Pacman, we sure don't need his type here.

By: rbull on 6/14/10 at 4:42

It is a matter of time before this Houston "thug" does something else on this same order. You notice it was in Texas and not Nashville. If his skin is so thin about somebody talking about those damn Longhorns then he needs to get a new life. Not everybody cares about the Texas Longhorns and I'm sure there are many folks in Texas that would hope the Longhorns go to the Pac 10 and lose all their games. Not everybody likes the Longhorns and he will hear this a lot more now that people know he can't handle some ribbing about his precious Longhorns. I hope the Commissioner comes down on him and this might teach him a lesson. Vince Young can forget about him leading the Titans to Dallas and play in the Super Bowl. Hell they haven't made the playoffs just yet and if they should luck up and play they will be in for one game and done. The Titans have got to get rid of Young, Fisher and Bud Adams before they can ever think of a Super Bowl appearance.

By: nature on 6/14/10 at 5:15

Oops, I did it again. Last year, I gave this 'man' a chance when he said he had his act together. 1)Let's drop the guy, find some classy people to play. 2)No more punks. Since I've been busy with life, what happened to ole' grill face? Yes, he's a good running back, but he's another punk. Let's tell Bum to stop bringing in all of these punk-a!# males. I didn't say MEN. This is not a rehab for gangbangers or other people (again, I did not say MEN) who have no social training. We can do better.

By: fishfry on 6/15/10 at 6:04

Oh here we go AGAIN! The Titans have had troubled "drinkers and abusers" for years. No one can "rehabilitate" pride and money. Too much money, to much easy money, and lawlessness make for a bad mix. This young man needs some serious discipline if he is to be rescued from more bad moves.

By: rpc0909 on 6/15/10 at 7:26

Most of the NFL players are thugs, it won't make a difference. They don't go to college to learn, they go to play football and get drafted. It's the NFL culture. None of these guys are men; they play child's sports and get paid obscene amounts of money. They are boys who never learn maturity or how to take responsibility in their lives.

By: Nashville_Rocks on 6/15/10 at 8:24

What a bunch of "Judgy Judgersons". A shady bouncer at a strip club purposely antogonizes Vince and you're "disapointed" in the way he reacted? The only thing that disapoints me is he didnt knock the MF out.

By: ROTCMom on 6/15/10 at 9:43

ROTCMom
Ease off folks - this is not a team full of thugs and punks. I went to Jeff Fisher's charity softball game Sunday night, and I saw a lot of stand up guys out there. Vincent Fuller made time between every inning to sign autographs. Lavelle Hawkins, who apparently stunk up the joint last year playing, put in a hell of an effort playing. Kerry Collins for an "old guy" played like a kid. McGrath was out there, as was Finnegan, Michael Griffin - I could go on. Even scrawny but wirey Rob Bironas was there, and the boy can hit a softball! They weren't getting paid to be there, it was hot and humid as hell, shoot, even the first round draft pick (Morgan I think his name is) was there. These guys made time for charity, for fans and for some fun - and Fisher led the group. You sure as hell aren't going to find these kind of events in Dallas or Washington (where I used to be a fan). And yes, VY showed up and faced the music with his coach.

So lighten up folks

By: gdiafante on 6/15/10 at 11:07

ROTC mom, you find these kind of events all over the place. Are you really this naive?

By: ROTCMom on 6/15/10 at 11:30

ROTCMom

Oops, oh yeah, I'm naive...I lived in DC for many years going back to the Jack Cook/Joe Gibbs era. In those days, yes, these kind of events were all over - try finding them now.

and my point is NOT every pro football player is a thug - yes many have entitlement issues and ego issues, and VY clearly should have been anywhere else than a strip club. And I'm not a VY fan particulary, but jeez, lay off a little bit folks!

By: GUARDIAN on 6/15/10 at 6:22

Why is this news after the second day. I'm not a fan of Young but I might be one day if he proves himself. Being at a strip bar, drinking maybe to much but not enough to be charged and getting in a small fight that was only minor assault legally. What's wrong with the media, the people, the team and the league to make such a deal out of this. FYI I don't drink nor do I go to those clubs but you have to remember Young is still a very young man and has not grown up yet. Fisher should tell him don't do it again and that should be it.