Vince Young sees new opportunity with Buffalo as chance to silence doubters

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 3:15pm

Vince Young does not doubt that he has doubters.

Now with his third team in as many seasons and six years after he was named the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year, the former Tennessee Titans quarterback says he has learned to ignore those who question his ability.

“I have a huge doubter base,” he said Tuesday when he was introduced as the newest member of the Buffalo Bills. “I used to feed into that but my biggest thing is not feeding into that. You can’t make everybody happy. The only people you can make happy is your family members, your coaching staff and your teammates. The ones you do love. Those are the ones I focus on.”

Young agreed to a one-year contract with the Bills late last week. The deal reportedly was worth $2 million with the opportunity to earn an additional $1 million through playing time and performance.

He spent last year with the Philadelphia Eagles, who chose not to re-sign him. Drafted fifth overall in 2006, he started 47 games for the Titans but was released with one year remaining on his initial contract.

“My biggest thing is trying to [change my] perception and who I am as a person,” Young said. “… The biggest thing is I just want to go out and play football, help out in any way I can. That’s the biggest thing.

“I love the game of football. It’s a one-year deal. It’s an opportunity to play the game that I love. That’s my biggest thing.”

In Buffalo, he joins a team that already has a starter in Ryan Fitzpatrick and an experienced backup in Tyler Thigpen. His 46 career touchdown passes (he has 51 interceptions) are one fewer than Fitzpatrick threw over the previous two seasons.

“[Fitzpatrick] is our starting quarterback and I’m behind him 100 percent,” he said. “The biggest thing is as a, not just at my position but any position on a football field, you have to be always ready because you never know what’s going to happen. If it’s staying in shape, if it’s extra studying, whatever they have you [doing] ... getting extra throws in on Tuesdays and all during the week, that’s the biggest thing about being a backup quarterback. You’ve got to stay ready because your number could get called any minute.”

Young was 25-13 as a starter in his first four seasons with the Titans but went 5-6 the last two seasons, including 1-2 with Philadelphia. He has played just one postseason contest, a loss to San Diego in 2007.

He was 8-5 as a rookie in 2006 after the Titans opened with three straight defeats. In 2009, he went 8-2 after Tennessee opened 0-6.

There also were a number of off-the-field missteps, though. He missed a flight to Philadelphia, created concern among those close to him when he went missing following the 2008 opener, storming out of the locker room following an altercation with then-head coach Jeff Fisher in what turned out to be his final appearance for the Titans. He spent the last six games of 2010 on injured reserve.

“I have definitely learned how to handle different situations now,” he said. “I just go to work. That’s all you can do. That’s what you’ve been paid for, to be a franchise quarterback. That’s the biggest thing you have to do. That’s all I do is go to work and be in the community with the kids and the people.

“… It’s all coming together right now, all the learning process and experience. My whole thing is to come in here as well and to learn just as much so when everybody gets the chance to go out and play to showcase the talent the things that I’ve been able to learn. It’s something I’m looking forward to and I’m very happy about it.”

By: Rasputin72 on 5/15/12 at 3:31

Vince Young will always remember his favorite play.....This was the play that used in high school and perfected at Texas. He looks down the field for a wide open receiver. He finds none. He tucks his head and runs the ball to the open side of the field. His long legs and speed always carried him to glory in high school and college. In the NFL a linebacker weighing 250 libs runs with him step by step and knocks him at the line of scrimmage.

Some people say that Vince Young does not have the IQ to understand why this does not work anymore.

By: thebullman on 5/15/12 at 5:19

Just happy to see he is with a team other than the Titans!

By: shinestx on 5/15/12 at 6:36

Vince Young, what wasted talent! Quite obviously a head case who never stopped believing his own bullsh!t.

By: concretemike on 5/15/12 at 6:53

Vince Young a legend in his own mind. This year the Bills riding the bench, next year he goes to the Bungles in Cincinnati and still never realizes what it takes to be an NFL quarterback.

You can shine a turd but it is still a TURD!!!!!!

By: Loner on 5/16/12 at 5:13

Has Vince Young sustained too many head injuries?

Read the vapid VY quotes from this one article:

“I used to feed into that but my biggest thing is not feeding into that."

"It’s an opportunity to play the game that I love. That’s my biggest thing.”

“The biggest thing is as a, not just at my position but any position on a football field, you have to be always ready because you never know what’s going to happen."

"Getting extra throws in on Tuesdays and all during the week, that’s the biggest thing about being a backup quarterback."

"That’s what you’ve been paid for, to be a franchise quarterback. That’s the biggest thing you have to do."

Was VY's vocabulary always this limited? Vince's lack of verbal skills may match his lack of playing skills.....that's his "biggest thing".

By: Ask01 on 5/16/12 at 5:43

Insightful.

This calls into question the wisdom of fathers living vicariously through their sons, pushing them at an early age to engage in sports which have now been proven to, over time result in brain damage.

Perhaps there is something to the scientific studies after all.

Great post Loner.

By: Loner on 5/16/12 at 6:11

Thanks for the feedback, A1, I feel sorry for the guy....this article changed my mind about VY, he should retire, IMO....he's been hammered.

By: dargent7 on 5/16/12 at 6:12

L'ner: Right on. He is the most IN-articulate QB, ever.
On the Wonderlic test QB's take, he got a 6 out of 50 questions....the lowest ever.
He re-took it and got a 13 which allegedly what Dan Marino got.
He's no Dan Marino.

By: Loner on 5/16/12 at 6:51

Sounds like Vince had an early undiagnosed traumatic brain injury...but I'm no physician or sports historian....I feel compassion for the man.

By: BigPapa on 5/16/12 at 8:10

I heard Locker on the radio the other morning. And in about 2 minutes he had conjugated more verbs, strung together more coherent sentences than VY had during his entire stay here.

Hopefully that he will get some wins as well. VY get a lot of credit for "just winning" but actually he was "just on the team", if you look during his early years TN had one of the best DEF in the NFL. They won despite his play.