Young will start for Titans on Sunday

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 11:02am
vince-young.jpg
Vince Young

The Tennessee Titans officially hit the restart button on the Vince Young Era on Thursday, elevating the 2006 first-round pick back to the starting lineup for likely the remainder of the season.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher made the announcement of Young’s reinsertion into the lineup after Young took all the first-team reps Thursday, a day after splitting them with Kerry Collins, who was demoted in the wake of the team’s 0-6 start.

Both Young and Collins were informed of the decision, apparently heavily influenced by owner Bud Adams, before Thursday’s practice.

“Coach Fisher told me. I don’t know where the decision came from,” Young said.
“All I know is Coach Fisher called me into the office and told me I had the job. Now I’m just getting myself prepared to play.”

Collins, who helped the Titans to a 13-3 mark this season, had completed 108 of 197 passes for 1,071 yards with five touchdowns and eight interceptions.

The wheels began to be set in motion for the change, however, after the Titans lost two weeks ago in New England, getting hammered by a record-tying 59-0 score.

“I certainly know I could have played better,” Collins said of his season. “But just like last year, I didn’t take all the credit when we were winning, and I don’t think it’s all my fault this year either. But having said that, I could have played better. We’re 0-6, and heads are gonna roll, and more times than not, it’s the quarterback.”

Not surprisingly, Collins was unhappy with the move.

“I’m not happy about it. Don’t get me wrong. By any stretch of the imagination,” said Collins, who re-signed in Tennessee for two years and $15 million in the off-season. “But it is what it is. I’ll do everything I can to help this team win. That, to me, is what it’s all about anyway is the Tennessee Titans winning. I’ll support Vince. I don’t like it, but I’ll deal with it and move on.”

Young lost the starting role after last year’s season opener against Jacksonville in which he was booed after his second interception of the game. He had to be coaxed back onto the field before the Titans next possession, and four plays later suffered a mild knee injury.

The following day, Young skipped a schedule MRI and after he was unaccounted for for several hours, Metro Police were dispatched to find him. In the aftermath of all that, Collins was elevated to the starting role.

Fisher, who painted the switch as a “collective decision,” said he believes Young is better equipped now to handle himself as the starter than before.

“I believe his experience over time has helped him to deal with anything that’s happened. He’s handled this season in a backup role behind Kerry very professionally,” Fisher said. “He’s never said anything that would be contradictory the team. He’s handled it well. We’re gonna find out. This is his opportunity, and we’re gonna find out.”\

“I’m definitely more mature and especially more comfortable in the offense and things like that,” Young said. “I’m gonna go out and take my time. It’s not gonna be easy. I’m six games off, I’ve not played in games or anything like that. I just don’t want to go out there and be antsy. I just want to try to let the game come to me.

“If something happens bad, I just need to put that in the past and be ready for the next series.”

The Titans were in a similar situation in Young’s rookie year of 2006, in which Young replaced Collins three games into that season at Adams’ urging.

Young went on to win Offensive Rookie of the Year as the Titans, who lost their first five games, finished the season 8-8.

Young is 18-11 in his career as a starter, but has not started a meaningful game since that fateful game against the Jaguars, whom he will face again in his return.

Young insists he is ready for whatever challenge will come his way, beginning this week.

“Whatever happens happens. If we win, it’s going to be good, and if we lose, it’s going to be all Vince Young’s fault,” Young said. “I just want to go out there and play and have a good time, get in a rhythm and put smiles on my coaches’ faces.”

Offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger said some changes to the offense will be forthcoming to best utilize Young’s strong suits, such as his mobility.

“There’ll be changes. We’ll put things in that Vince does well, as opposed to Kerry,” Heimerdinger said.

Fisher said he remains a supporter of Collins, as he steadfastly did during his time as the starter, but now says he is fully behind Young as his quarterback.

“Anybody that steps on that field is, as you say, ‘my guy.’ I’m in their corner. I hope that they do well, and it’s my job to help them do as best they can,” Fisher said.

“It’s just like Kerry was the starting pitcher for six games. Sometimes the offense didn’t hit, and sometimes the defense didn’t field, and he’s sitting there at 0-6,” linebacker Keith Bulluck explained. “It might not reflect his ERA, but he’s sitting there at 0-6.

"We’re going with VY, and I’m happy for him in the sense that he lost his spot, and he’s someone who had to sit back and take a back seat and be humbled a little bit, but has learned a lot in that time and I’m kind of looking forward to seeing how he’s grown as a player.”

And, Bulluck said, the team can go forward in preparing for Sunday’s game, supporting the decision and Young.

“Jeff is a great coach. He does a lot of great things, but to me, outside looking in, it looks like Jeff’s hand were tied in this and I don’t know, we’re a team and we’re backing whoever goes out there and getting ready for Jacksonville,” Bulluck said.

Young said he knew eventually his turn would come again to start at quarterback.

“Here or wherever, I knew it would come again. That’s why I was standing back, being patient and humble and taking care of my responsibilities as a businessman and a player,” he said.

By: TITAN1 on 10/29/09 at 11:30

Now we can start to see if he is our future QB or if we draft or trade for one. Good luck, VY!

By: Oh NO Not again on 10/29/09 at 11:56

VY will fail too because the O-line is the same (can't block) and the Receivers are the same (can't catch). Fisher can see this, why can't Adams? TIme to hang it up Bud.

By: sportsfan614 on 10/29/09 at 12:05

If I am the most tenured coach in the NFL an not worried about my job I go with my coaching instincts and start Collins. If I am worried about my job I do what the boss says and go with VY. But if I'm an arrogant coach who does not want a 90 year old man telling me how to coach I start VY,hand it off to Chris Johnson and then put Collins in! There Bud, Vince started!!!!

By: dargent7 on 10/29/09 at 12:30

At 0-6, with a $12 million dollar (left) QB sitting on the bench, who cares? Send in Young...it's all or nothing for him. If he screws it up, he's out and traded. If he wins, he's a hero and will start next Sunday, and keep starting. This is "show time" for VY.

By: frank brown on 10/29/09 at 12:55

Jeff Fisher lives by the same modus operandi that I do. "Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do"

By: blktenn on 10/29/09 at 1:00

Terry McCormick call 104.5 and cry like a little _____ (LOL)

By: chillyvillain on 10/29/09 at 1:28

Screw Bud Adams, Jeff Fisher, Kerry Collins AND Vince Young. I wouldn't give you a friggin plugged nickel for all of them. The team isn't worth a crap; they're an embarrassment to the city of Nashville. They had better be glad the season tickets sold out in preseason because I guarantee no one would buy tickets now to watch this shitty team full of retards.

By: JohnGalt on 10/29/09 at 1:56

Another demonstration of The Golden Rule.

By: cmarcus45 on 10/29/09 at 2:34

Hope Bud's happy. I guess he will get to see the rest of the unraveling of the dud he forced the team to draft. Fisher deserves better. I badly want him to stay, but, for his sake, he ought to tell the organization "thanks" and go hit his payday for a team whose owner doesn't make the personnel decisions.

By: fightcrib on 10/29/09 at 3:23

Wow, George Plaster predicted something correctly for the first time.

Fightcrib, BNA

By: courier37027 on 10/29/09 at 3:52

fightcrib, Plaz only picks an issue when one side has 75% consensus or mandate. "Hey Darren, I predict the sun will rise in the east...and you can BOOK IT."

Darren, "That's right George. I can't disagree."

By: TITAN1 on 10/29/09 at 3:56

marcus, I don't think coach Fisher is starting VY at this time just because Mr Adams wanted him to. VY is due 14 mil next season and he needs to start the rest of the season to see if he is our future QB. If it turns out he isn't then we draft one or trade for one. It really is that simple. Oh, and nobody knows if he will make it or not.

By: troystoy40 on 10/29/09 at 6:43

troystoy well bud needs to start watching his team play. then he would see that alot of the passes were just dropped.what does he expect terry to do throw the ball then run down the field and catch it to. the best thing bud and jeff could do would be to TRADE vince. I would like to see them trade him for chase McDaniels . A better passer,a better runner, a better leader.Without the soap opera or the police needing to be called to find him. So here we go from a bad season to a worst one.Bud you might want to look at the raiders owner and there season when the owner tries to be the COACH. IT ALL GOES BAD REAL BAD .

By: not_guilty on 10/29/09 at 11:50

Maybe the Titans will lose them all and draft Tim Tebow

By: house_of_pain on 10/30/09 at 6:45

Project much, sillyvillian?
Go get 'em, Vince!

By: blktenn on 10/30/09 at 7:31

Tim Tebow will not make it in the NFL !!!! Too slow and his running style will get his head took offf

By: blktenn on 10/30/09 at 7:33

I HAVE NEED SEEN SO CALLED FANS AND MEDIA WOULD WANTS A TEAM PLAYER TO FAIL SO BAD. IT HURTS DOES IT SMALL ONE ( terry

By: blktenn on 10/30/09 at 7:40

Are these the words od a reporter writing FACT or are they the words of a Small persons options.

1.Not surprisingly, Collins was unhappy with the move.
2.For his part, Young sounded Thursday as if he has learned from his previous struggles.
3.Fisher said he remains a supporter of Collins, as he steadfastly did during his time as the starter,
4.As for the Titans players, they, too, sounded ready to get on board with Young, no matter how the decision was reached to reinstall him as the starter.

By: frank brown on 10/30/09 at 8:57

If you cannot beat Jacksonville with a future Hall of Fame quarterback and a Wonderlic Hall of Famer then why would the Titans think about playing another game. The game plan is so simple. The center snaps the ball to the future Hall of Famer and he makes a decision as to what he is going to do next. That has been his modus operandi since he was discovered in the Pop Warner league in Houston

I might add also that whatever Vince Young does will be at least the equivalent of anything the Titans have done this far.

I will say this to Vince Young. If you happen to see an open Alge Crumpler, please forget about it.

By: titansfb on 10/30/09 at 2:31

chillyvillain tell us how you really feel with your 5th grade education!
blktenn - are you happy now? Are there enough black men on the field for you? I didnt see you throw race in our face today since they playn VY.
Hope he does good, but feel real bad for Collins. He's a great quarterback with a bunch of knuckle heads who cant catch a ball or they won't for him.
Conspiracy?? Maybe blktenn got in their heads and told them all to play like crap till they played the black QB....
Maybe the signing of the terrible towel will change our luck...or maybe the players will play right for a black qb!
Collins your too good for this - need to find you a team that will appreciate and compliment your talents!
Nonetheless - lets get a win! Go Titans!

By: jwk6179 on 10/30/09 at 4:10

I have heard from various sources that Vince Young is using this opportunity to start as a way to increase his trade value because he no longer wants to play in Nashville. It has been reported that he hopes to play well enough to increase his value so another team will either trade for him in the off season or if he is cut, as he expects to be because of the hit to the Titans salary cap, that several other teams may show interest in him. These sources are not from Terry McCormick, George Plaster, Jim Wyatt or any of the other LOCAL TITAN YESMEN, but National Reporters with very REPUTABLE REPITATIONS!!!

By: TITAN1 on 10/31/09 at 6:26

Link?
Common sense will tell you that if he does not play up to his draft potential then we will trade him or cut him. Bottom line is VY wants to be successful here or anywhere. The coaches and REAL Titan fans want him to succeed here. Show me a link to where he he said he wanted out of Nashville regardless of how he plays.

By: jwk6179 on 10/31/09 at 9:18

I bet if it were on of the Titans LOCAL mouthpieces (McCormick, Plaster, Wyatt, Hope Hines, etc.) that reported that, you would asks for a link. I heard it on the radio yesterday afternoon by two different reporters, both with the National Reputations of being RIGHT a lot more than supposed NFL insider John McLain. And isn't it amazing how quick the local HOMER mouthpieces went from questioning if Vince Young's ability to KISSING his ass in just a few days.

By: TITAN1 on 10/31/09 at 9:22

Link?

By: TITAN1 on 10/31/09 at 9:36

Two reporters heard VY say that, but nobody else did? Wow! Now they are very good reporters! LOL!

By: jwk6179 on 10/31/09 at 9:53

I NEVER SAID THEY HEARD VINCE YOUNG SAY THAT, DUMBASS, they said their SOURCES told them that VINCE YOUNG doesn't want to play in Nashville anymore. Of course, you will never hear that from the LOCAL YESMEN (Plaster, McCormick, Wyatt, Hines, etc.) or from John McLain (who is too BUSY KISSING BUD ADAMS ASS).

By: TITAN1 on 10/31/09 at 10:01

Oh, their sources! And who were these "sources"? Talk about grasping for straws! LOL!

By: jwk6179 on 10/31/09 at 10:11

Their SOURCES as just as ACCURATE or maybe even more so than MOST of the BS stories that Terry McCormick, George Plaster, Jim Wyatt and John McLain have been putting out for years that you and the rest of the GULLIBLE TITAN FANS believe to be the TRUTH. Of course, you CAN NOT BE OBJECTIVE when reporting the news when you act like you're afraid you will lose you PRESS CREDENTIALS if you say anything CRITICAL of the TITANS, like the biggest majority of Sports media in Nashville do!!!

By: TITAN1 on 10/31/09 at 10:15

Still waiting on the sources. Man, these two super reporters must be really good to have have sources in their hip pocket who only tell them things that nobody else knows! You are cracking me up, please keep them coming!

By: jwk6179 on 10/31/09 at 3:56

I bet if the TITAN PROGANDA MACHINE (McCormick, Plaster, Wyatt, McLain, Hines, etc.) had made that statement, you WOULDN"T EVEN DARE to question their sources. But any other reporter that doesn't bow down and KISS THE ASS of Bud Adams reports something and the first thing you do is question their sources. I've heard Terry McCormick report some of the most assinine stories on the Titans that were later proven to be false and I don't recall you even questioning HIS SOURCES one time.

By: TITAN1 on 10/31/09 at 4:53

I hardly ever even listen, but since you are such an expert on Titan fans, tell me what the local media has said that has your panties in a wad.

By: jwk6179 on 10/31/09 at 7:38

That's funny. Last week, you stated that you never hear ANY callers saying anything negative about the Titans. Now you're saying you NEVER listen to Sports talk radio. Which is it?

By: TITAN1 on 10/31/09 at 9:29

I happened to be listening last week when the discussions was about coach Fisher and the jersey and VY possibly starting. jw, I'd like to continue this discussion but have been struggling with what I thought was a cold but now it feels more like the flue. Just hope it isn't and I'm better in the morning but right now I feel like crap. Have a good evening.

By: jwk6179 on 10/31/09 at 10:49

I'm going to be a nice guy here and hope you feel better.

By: TITAN1 on 11/1/09 at 12:56

Not much better I can't believe I am missing this game and tailgate.